Sunday 1 May 2016

Cute DIY's . . .



Well hello.

Trying hard to keep my sewjo in check.  When I feel it waning I find an easy project to keep the sewjo engine running, until my next garment project. My sewjo can go AWOL for almost a year, so I have to do something to keep my hand in. As we all appreciate, life can go as fast as a steam train, blink and you're a year older.  Unless you're counting backwards like moi.

Enough about the trials and tribulations of my sewjo, I shall now bore you with the nuances of the following easy projects.

1. Draught Excluder




My former beige draught excluder had seen better days, since it had slept next to my lounge door for six years plus. it could even have had the seven year itch. Who knows, and frankly who cares. In a nutshell, it was looking worse for wear and probably wanted to check out.

With this in mind, I set about sorting its retirement plans. In my stash I had a pretty floral, home furnishing weight fabric. Purchased the remnant with a draught excluder in mind, since it wouldn't suffice for any other of my projects. To cut to the chase, I drafted a new draught excluder and said adios to the old.


2. Travel Pillow & Eye Mask




It has been approximately three years ago when I last was abroad, maybe more. I long to go somewhere, I miss being on holiday. My last break was in Barcelona.  Oh Barcelona how  I miss thee. Decided, next time I go away, I will take along a travel pillow and sleep mask for ultimate comfort on the thing with the big wings. Obviously, being a sewer, I wasn't going to shell out for one. No sirree.

I searched the web and found scores of tutorials. Selected one, and the rest is history. Bought the fabric -  referred to as Halloween fabric - when I first started to sew, approx five years ago. It was languishing in a storage box. No idea why, but I think it tickled me that it said Boo, something silly like that.

 I stuffed the pillow with some silky cloud-like polyester filling gifted to me by one of my friends.  Stuffing the pillow was the highlight of the project, I could not get over how silky soft and light the stuffing was. I was like a little girl oooing and ahhhing. Okay not quite, since that would be a little sad, but I did love touching it. Found it therapeutic.

I have a shop bought eye-mask, and find them quite handy for shutting out the light and putting you in that relaxation mode. Thought it would be fun to make my own. One of my sewing books included an eye mask pattern with exposed elastic. I followed the tutorial but wanted a covered fabric band like my shop bought one.  I happened across Tilly and The Buttons Tute for this. May even try her sleep mask pattern and instructions next time for a change.

Courtesy of Tilly and The Buttons


Well that's it, cute DIY's to keep my sewjo ticking. Next time I will be showing some garment sewing, as am raring to go. A couple, I have already sewn but not had an opportunity to photograph yet.




Until Next Time

Sassy

 







No comments:

Post a Comment

Say Ya Piece . . .

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...